Monday 10 August 2015

DFMA Makeup Academy, Brighton (Part 1)

I know it was back in April that I attended DFMA but I thought id write a little (large) post  on how I actually ended up choosing the course and how I found accommodation etc.
 
So basically after months of browsing through and contacting several different makeup academies (Delamar, AOF Makeup, Greasepaint, to name a few) I decided to go with DFMA, not only were they extremely helpful but the testimonials on their website were amazing, the other thing that had drawn me to the school was the fact they use makeup artists who are currently working in the field (some even studied at DFMA) so they can give you second to none advice and really handy tips and tricks to get you started.
 
 
Having finally chosen DFMA, I had to decide which course I was going to attend;
- Foundation in Fashion Makeup
- Fashion, Media & TV Makeup & Hair, or
- TV, Film & Theatre Makeup & Hair
I decided to go with TV, Film & Theatre Makeup & Hair as I felt like I'd get a lot more knowledge. The Course covered everything from, face shapes, eye shapes, bone structure, basic hair cutting, health and safety,   
wig demo, the making of facial hair pieces, continuity, blocking out brows, male grooming, period makeup, ageing, Special FX and a hell of a lot more.  Also included in the price is a full hair and makeup kit plus an aftercare programme to help you get work, Not only that but you can attend masterclasses with top brands such as Bobbi Brown, MAC, Nars, and several others, included in the masterclass is a chance to shop whilst the store is closed and a chance to apply for great discounts.
 
Sounds pretty ace right..
 
I chose to study in Brighton, as id been there a few times and fallen in love with it, id also studied in London before so thought why not study by the beach! DFMA also hold courses in Bournemouth and Manchester as well as Brighton and London, so plenty of choice!
The course in Brighton is held at the gorgeous Stanmer House , which also makes it a pretty epic place to study.
 
 
Next on the to do list was find somewhere to stay whilst studying, id looked up several hotels and DFMA email you a list of host families; if you've never heard of host families before, its basically a family or a single who has a room in their house for you to rent out during your stay, it's fairly cheap and is a good way of getting to know the local area. 
As great as that is, I preferred the idea of staying in my own little apartment, as if you don't already know I bloody love cooking and didn't want to live on microwave meals or pot noodles for a month!
Now I obviously didn't choose the cheapest method of accommodation and did spend a hell of a lot of money on an apartment for a month, however if I'd have booked my accommodation a lot earlier on it probably would've been a bit cheaper.. One thing I would say, is that dfma should start up a forum for future students to join and they can then find places to stay together, after talking to the girls on my course it would've been so much cheaper and easier for us all.
 
I found my apartment through 'CityPad Brighton', they're an agency who work with landlords to offer self catering holiday homes for business or leisure and were extremely helpful. They have homes all over Brighton & Hove, so it's just working with them to figure out which homes are available on the dates you need.
 
 I didn't want to leave this place, it was perfect!
(Apart from the shower head that wouldn't stay up, but we'll get over that)
 




 

It was right next to Brighton marina and literally a 2 minute walk to the beach (10 minutes to the pier).

 Literally perfect.
 
 



 
 




I'm going to end part one of the post with the delish views of Brighton as I feel this is going to be a long one!
 
Hope you've all had a good weekend!
 
Love Keeks xx 


No comments:

Post a Comment